The Avodah mailing list hosts a chevrah that focuses on analysis of hashkafah, avodas Hashem, ta’amei hamitzvos, lomdus, machshavah, and halachah — with an emphasis on the places where halachah, machshavah and hargashah meet.
In addition to the core topics of the list, Avodah is aimed at building and strengthening that chevrah. So, in addition to Avodah, which is for the discussion of Torah, by default subscription includes Areivim, a more general discussion area. Areivim’s archive is not available without membership and a password; it is less public, and has a less formal atmosphere.
Join Avodah by signing on to our Membership Agreement!
You can use any of the following methods to browse Avodah’s archives. Warning: the archives may refer to fax images or other web pages that are no longer valid:
- Digest Archive (complete):
- Retrieve Avodah digest:
- Subject index:
- GMane Threaded Archive (starts 28-Jun-05)
- Avodah List Server Archive (starts 4-Aug-06)
- Avodah news feeds: RSS, UseNet
- Other material:
- Acronyms commonly used
- Email formatting advice
- Images of pages that have been faxed or otherwise scanned and shared with the list
- Index of emails for Yamim Nora’im as of Sep 24, 2008. Collected by R’ Yisrael Dubitsky.
- Pictures from our winter Melavos Malkah: 5764 and 5763 in Ramot Shelomo and 5761 in Hillside, NJ.
The discussion is maintained at a relatively high level; many of the participants are scholars or very knowledgeable lay people. The dialogue should, therefore, be in depth, and assume less need for translation of terms than in many other lists.
If you are interested in advanced discussions of topics that fall into these categories, this group may be for you!