Comments or questions are welcome.
Intimate Knowledge of G‑d
Compassion Toward People
Splendor in Mind and Heart
- When Should a Rabbi Speak (was Are We Trying To Grow?)Zev Sero: When Should a Rabbi Speak (was Are We Trying To Grow?): [...] My understanding was that the objection was to the fact that he preached in English rather than Portuguese (which by then very few congregants actually spoke, but was still the congregation's tradition).
- Are We Trying to Grow?Micha Berger: Are We Trying to Grow?: The question of whether we are out to grow or not seems pretty straightforward to answer in the negative. If you wish, we can talk about ascending, as in "mi yaaleh behar Hashem". Or refinement, as in vehalakhta bidrakhav. I am not really dealing with the choice of […]
- Moshe Rabenu got rich from the shivrei luchosAlexander Seinfeld: Moshe Rabenu got rich from the shivrei luchos: Dynastic wealth is so rare there are proverbs about its scarcity: Chinese proverb, ³Rice paddy to rice paddy in 3 generations.² Japanese: ³Kimono to kimono in 3 generations.² Indian: ³Sandals to sandals in 3 generations.² British: ³Clogs to clogs in 3 generations. […]
- Feminine PluralJay F. Shachter: Feminine Plural: [...] You had to wait for the Tanchuma, to ask this question? You couldn't ask it on Numbers 36:6? You never read Exodus 2:17, where there is an inconsistency in a single verse? Clearly the Bible is occasionally careless about feminine plural forms (although much better than modern […]
- Judges 18:30Jay F. Shachter: Judges 18:30: [...] The uncited reference is to the Midrash on Judges 18:30. The question reminds me of another question. There are Midrashim on Genesis 23:2 and on Genesis 24:1 that Avraham had a daughter. This woman would have been a half-sister to Yitzxaq. […]
- The Moon By Night; A Wrinkle In TimeJay F. Shachter: The Moon By Night; A Wrinkle In Time: [...] Where do you live? In Eretz Yisrael, the moon is never directly overhead. Maybe you meant that the moon would be at its highest point for that night. How are you going to know when the moon reaches its highest point of the […]
- Moshe Rabenu got rich from the shivrei luchosDavid Riceman: Moshe Rabenu got rich from the shivrei luchos: Once you construe shivrei luchos as a metaphor shouldn’t you also construe wealth as a metaphor (Avos 4:1)? David Riceman
- Are we trying to grow?Akiva Miller: Are we trying to grow?: . This is a continuation of a conversation that began recently on Areivim, in a thread titled "For many synagogues, live-streamed services are here to stay after the pandemic". That thread began (as you might guess from its title) with an external article about the changes that are […]
- Are we trying to grow?Zev Sero: Are we trying to grow?: A factor on RYL's side in this discussion is that having a rabbi for each shul, and having him speak every Shabbos morning, or even on an occasional Shabbos morning, was not the Jewish tradition. It's a very modern thing, partially influenced by Reform, which was in turn […]
- Many People Saying Kaddish To g e t h e rProf. L. Levine: Many People Saying Kaddish To g e t h e r: The following is from https://thehalacha.com/wp-content/uploads/Vol17Issue4.pdf?utm_content=Prof.&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Click%20here%20to%20download%20%22Women%20Reciting%20Kaddish%22&utm_campaign=Women%20Reciting%20Kaddish TOPIC Women Reciting Kaddish - thehalacha. […]