Comments or questions are welcome.
Intimate Knowledge of G‑d
Compassion Toward People
Splendor in Mind and Heart
- praying for one to dieAkiva Miller: praying for one to die: . R' Joel Rich asked: [...] To me, this seems very much like other cases where one prays for some specific thing, even though that thing might not be what is truly in his best interests. Whatever answer works for you in those other situations, perhaps it works […]
- Is it a proper warning, or is it lashon hara?Prof. Levine: Is it a proper warning, or is it lashon hara?: [...] The first issue to deal with is "Do people thank that all hashgachas are equally reliable?" I think not. For example, there is a brand of delicatessen sold nationally that is not glatt that, as far as I know, no one who […]
- Machnisei Rachamim reduxMicha Berger: Machnisei Rachamim redux: I have two new data points about the issue of Makhnisei Rachamim and whether it crosses the line into praying to middlemen. 1- It's not "just" the Gra and R Chaim Volozhiner: The Maharal is also bothered by the problem, and recommends tweaking the nusach. (Nesiva haAvodah ch. 12) I […]
- Machnisei Rachamim reduxZev Sero: Machnisei Rachamim redux: [...] Perhaps "they and everyone who is like them"?
- Which foods should one avoid eating on Rosh Hashana?Zev Sero: Which foods should one avoid eating on Rosh Hashana?: [...] KSA does indeed say that, but I am not aware of any earlier source for avoiding "bitter and vinegary foods"; every source I've seen says "vinegar". The point of avoiding vinegar is *not* that it tastes sour, it's that it's a siman kelala, […]
- Sistine chapelRich, Joel: Sistine chapel: I know there were some tours under Jewish that t ravel there. Is anyone aware of any published opinions that allow entering it? Kvct Joel rich THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE ADDRESSEE. IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE. […]
- TRADITION High Holiday Reader 2021/5782Micha Berger: TRADITION High Holiday Reader 2021/5782: [...] The link wasn't usable. Try this one: https://traditiononline.org/2021-high-holiday-reader [...] Micha Berger The mind is a wonderful organ http://www.aishdas.org/asp for justifying decisions Author: Widen Your Tent the heart already reached. - https://amzn. […]
- Which foods should one avoid eating on Rosh Hashana?Micha Berger: Which foods should one avoid eating on Rosh Hashana?: [...] We don't eat nuts because agoz is 17 in gematria and cheit is... 18, But the Zohar, around Bereishis 3a or so, says that Hashem rejected ches and tes because they represent cheit. So you see you don't need the alef -- ches+tes […]
- bechira?Akiva Miller: bechira?: . R' Joel Rich asked: [...] I would think that, l'shitaso, one is not responsible for failures that are beyond one's nequdas habechira (nor does one get credit for successes that are within his nequdas habechira). But one IS held responsible if he doesn't make a sincere attempt to move his nequdas […]
- Is it a proper warning, or is it lashon hara?Akiva Miller: Is it a proper warning, or is it lashon hara?: . Someone wrote the following: (I will not say who wrote it, nor how they know me. It's even possible that I'm the one who wrote it.) [...] I'd like to hear from other people. What is your opinion? Does the above paragraph […]